According to the latest report of the National Epidemiology Center, 212 new HIV Ab sero-positive individuals were confirmed by the STD/AIDS Cooperative Central Laboratory for the month of November. The figure is 89 percent higher from the same period last year.
Of the 212 cases, three were reported to be AIDS cases. These were two males and a female. All acquired the infection through sexual contact (1 heterosexual and 2 homosexual). There was also reported death from AIDS for the month, a 26 year old female.
Based on the November 2011 report, here are the other observations:
- 94 percent of the cases were males
- The age range was between 17 to 73 years and the media age was 28 years
- 124 cases or 58 percent of it were from the National Capital Region
- The reported mode of transmission was all sexual contact with males having sex with other males as the most predominant at 85 percent
- 99 percent of the cases were still asymptomatic at the time of reporting
- 12 percent (25) of the 212 were OFWs